Things we learned from our Europa League victory in Vienna

Written by ATSN

October 23, 2020

Arsenal were toothless for most of the game as they missed key figures in the team due to injury. They went behind due to an individual error. But inspired substitutions from Arteta meant that Arsenal turned the tide with a 2-1 victory against Rapid Wien. The game also marked a full debut for Arsenal’s deadline day signing Thomas Partey

Leno’s attempted pass while trying to play from the back was intercepted by the home side culminating in an easy finish for the opening goal. David Luiz equalized with a powering header off a Pepe free-kick.

The two substitutes Aubameyang and Bellerin combined for the second goal to give Arsenal a winning start to the Europa League campaign. Let us look at the biggest lessons:

1. Creativity is lacking – Arsenal’s approach for Houssem Aouar makes complete sense. Leaving Ozil out even despite getting Aouar has left Arsenal lacking creativity in the middle of the park. The absence of Ceballos and Willian meant there was no creative outlet in the middle of the park. This was evident in the fact that Arsenal had fewer shots on target while having the bulk of the ball. Arteta needs to set his formation correctly to extract the best out of his side.
  2. A debut to remember for Partey – Thomas Partey looked a cut above the rest of the players on the field. The midfield powerhouse barely set a foot wrong throughout the game and had the perfect full debut. With him in the middle Arsenal can afford another body in the attacking third. Arsenal have pulled off one of the biggest deals of the summer.
  3. Aubameyang still the main man – Aubameyang has been playing out wide in most of the games since Arteta took over. As a result, his productivity in front of goal has decreased substantially. But in this game, the Arsenal captain showed once again that he remains the talisman for Arteta. He needs to be in spaces where he has better sight of goal, and Arteta needs to ensure that.
  4. Pepe could be a dead ball specialist – Creating goals from set-pieces is something Arsenal have lacked for a while now. Pepe has shone in this department on a few occasions. But he needs to do it consistently. This will give Arsenal another dimension in attack and works against some of the stubborn defenses.

Author: Kshitiz Choudhary

Header Photo Credit:

2019Анна Джалалян

Related Articles

Top source – Szoboszlai future could be decided in 2 weeks

Top source – Szoboszlai future could be decided in 2 weeks

If you've been following transfer news this year, you are likely to know how reliable Fabrizio Romano is. With the famous "here we go", he has confirmed a number of transfers shortly before they have been made official. Today, Arsenal fans, who would have been...

Arsenal starting XI to face Wolves – Bukayo Saka returns

Arsenal starting XI to face Wolves – Bukayo Saka returns

Arsenal have just announced the starting XI and substitutes selected to face Wolves. Kick-off is just under an hour away. The big highlight is that Bukayo Saka is back from an injury he picked up against Leeds, so he will definitely be expected to create some chances...

Comments

10 Comments

1. I used to be recommended this blog via my cousin. I am no longer
    sure whether or not this post is written by him as no one else understand such designated approximately my
    difficulty. You are incredible! Thank you!

2. I think the admin of this website is in fact working hard in support of his site, since here every information is quality based material.

3. Thank you so much for doing the job here, everyone will
    like your post.
    King regards,
    Boswell Dencker

4. Excellent blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Kudos!

5. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is
    really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.

I will be grateful if you continue this in future.
    Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

6. My spouse and I stumbled over here different page and thought
    I might check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following
    you. Look forward to exploring your web page again.

7. Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my blog so i
    came to return the choose?.I’m attempting to in finding issues to enhance my site!I assume its ok to
    use some of your concepts!!

8. Right here is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to
    understand this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with
    you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about for many years.

Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

9. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to
    protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on.
    Any recommendations?

10. This is the right web site for everyone who really wants to understand this topic.

You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I
    personally will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh
    spin on a topic that has been written about for years. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

Submit a Comment